Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
Many folks like avail light. Where press photog's back in the day using flash? I presume and that might explain the variance to some degree.
Back in day depends on how far back in the day. In the 40s 50s and 60s flash was the norm, in the 40s and 50s flash bulbs later strobe. By the 60s available light was catching on, for some it was philosophic for other it was pragmatic. Early flash was very harsh, some like Weegee created a style using flash. When I was working in the 70s and early 80s I wanted to travel as light as possible, carrying a tripod and large strobe was not feasible. Also remember that shooting in the field the action was likely to be well out of range of flash and shutter sync was slow 1/60th . It was not uncommon to push tri-x to 800 or 1600, tri-x in the 70s was a different film than the tri-x we shoot today. Recording film had horrible grain, there was no T max until the mid-80s. I carried a quart kit of Dinafine and a packet of fixer to develop on location if needed. Flash made a comeback in the late 70s and 80s when newspapers and magazines moved from black and white to color. Strobe’s improved and with higher shutter speed sync and TTL we had much greater control. In today’s world I seldom push, I use TMax 3200, now Delta 3200.