With regards to your 8x10 film negatives, I think you have to ask yourself this question:

Is this negative intended for a single process, or do I wish to make prints from several different processes?

For example a silver-gelatin print, a platinum print, and a carbon print will require negatives with different density ranges. A negative that prints really well as a carbon print will likely be too contrasty to print on silver gelatin, even with a very soft (0) filter.

In my opinion, if you plan on making silver prints as well, it's probably best to develop for silver printing, and then make dupe negatives, using either a reversal process with litho film, or directly with x-ray duping film, and adjust the density range of these dupes through exposure and development techniques. This applies to 8x10 original negatives as well smaller formats for which you make enlarged duplicate negatives for alt-process. You'll need to make less aggressive contrast adjustments (if any) in your alt-process chemistry, which is probably a good thing.

I make my alt negatives by digital methods, but if I were using film, this is the approach I would take, and I would likely optimize a dupe negative for a specific process. You can always make another dupe relatively easily for a different process.

A 21-step step wedge is your friend in alt-process. You can make a print of it to determine the density requirements of your process and method, and then use it as a visual guide for judging your negatives, if you don't have access to a densitometer.

Hope that helps.

--Greg