I have a few questions about properly exposing the negative for roll film. I am reading Bruce Barnbaum's book,The Art Of Photography. It is very, very good. In Barnbaum's book, when he discusses the proper development of roll film, he suggests a few scenarios for avoiding the dilemma's of roll film. As an important side note, I've never developed film, so this is all new to me. I am taking a darkroom class soon, but I don't want to mess up a bunch of negatives in the meantime!

Barnbaum suggests the following:

Use more than one back or camera body, designing each for a different contrast level. You would typically use 3. One for contrast expansion, one for normal contrast, one for compensation reduction (not completely sure what compensation reduction is?)

Here are some of my questions/clarifications about his suggestion.

If I understand development properly, once you develop a negative, it is forever developed the way you chose to develop it. So he's suggesting, for example, that if you are shooting snow on roll film, and over-exposing by a few stops to make the snow white, ONLY use that roll of film with overexposures, because in development, you have to compensate for the overexposure. If you shoot 15 shots of snow with an overexposure and then 10 shots with normal exposure, this is a bad idea??

Thanks -