Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
Can I ask what may be a dumb question - How critical is enlarger alignment. I am still new to darkroom and I am often swinging the lensboard around to correct verticals. I just line it back up with the centre marks - its a grips screw and slot arrangement. using a focus finder seems to show me that centralising gets the same focus across the baseboard quite easily. Is there not a depth of field on the enlarged image that gives some tolerance anyway? I am not getting this micro-adjustment or am I missing something.
Well the smallest print I make is 11x14 and commonly do 16x20 and 20x24 with plans in the near future to do mural printing up to 50x whatever. So the more magnification you imply on the optical path, the more accuracy of alignment is required of your planes. So when I first asked this question, it was to basically say I wanted to cut to the chase and find out what is out there in terms of monorail view camera like adjustments of these planes on an enlarger.

Like I said in my previous post, the 45MX seems to work well right up to 20x24 with a laser alignment tool nearby to check it every time I move the enlarger up and down. But for 30x40's and bigger, alignment becomes more critical, so I asked the question.