Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
Classic camera author Ivor Mantanle says of the Contax rangefinder that regular use of the camera will keep the shutter running smoothly. I tend to agree with that statement.
This is necessary with any mechanical camera, if you don't do it the camera will eventually need a service, i.e. sooner rather then later..
Generally, the post-war Contax is a simple camera to service - despite what others might say. The design is a solid one, from a mechanical standpoint.
The famous quote about the post war Contax rangefinder was 'masterpiece of misplaced ingenuity' and of the Leica almost nothing inside it...
http://reocities.com/Eureka/park/374...es/contax.html
you pay for the complexity difference on a CLA or if a part is worn, note the contax is nice to maintain, but you need to find some one good.
Personally, I think the meter of the IIIA adds a noticeable amount of weight, and I'd rather use a IIA and a handheld meter.
I carry a Westom III (and invercone) as well as a IIIa, but still need to go to gym. The IIa are nicer cosmetically, the IIIa is an ugly sister, but there can be a large premium for a IIa.

Noel