I say this not to insult OP but to offer my thought on the subject.

I think OP is seeing only the negative side of the design. The 35mm film, obviously, is the most successful format ever created in film photography. It is also the longest living. (other than sheet films) As far as I am concerned, it owes its popularity to its efficient and practical design. Yes, efficient. The film base acts as not only an image recording surface, but also transportation mechanism. Loading is just by hooking the leading end of the same film. Other than canister and spool, there is no other components, such as backing paper and tape. It offers reasonable compromise between image quality, size, and cost. It's hard shell provides level of protection in rough handling in consumer environment. It wastes film surface but saves by not using backing paper and gummed tape.

I am not sure what it is to gain by having this analysis and discussion about 35mm film. Its an established design widely adopted by the industry and consumers. I'd rather be pleased about this implementation than complain about its inefficiency. To me, this is truly a matter of seeing glass half-full or half-empty. I try (sometimes) hard to see the former in my everyday experience.