Here's one area that I would LOVE to see this technology utilized for. And I understand I'm standing on dangerous grounds here, since, while not limited to digital, the usefulness of what I propose really only applies to the digital world.

So, you know how many Hasselblad (and other 6x6 MF) shooters are really hoping for (but may never get) a full-size 56mm x 56mm sensor medium format digital camera with which to use their legacy Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses? Again, they'll probably never get one since a square digital sensor would be a very niche market in an already niche digital MF world.

What that means is that the legacy Zeiss glass can only be used cropped on a 645 and smaller sensors.

However, let's say that in the future, we will have (1) mirrorless digital MF cameras. You can substitute this relatively easily today because we already have digital MF backs that can be attached to any box. Hartblei's H-cam comes to mind. Let's say that then there is (2) an adapter exactly like this for MF that will concentrate the image circle by 1.5x.

Then, you could have a digital MF sensor like one used in CFV-16 (37mm x 37mm) and use a legacy Hassie lens on it as it was originally intended without any crop factor, and with the same DoF. I.e., e.g., Zeiss Planar 110mm F2.0 will act like a 73mm F1.4 lens on a CFV-16, effectively giving you the same FOV/DOF as the lens would give you if you shot it with a 56mm x 56mm sensor. Of course, this could be applied to any of the larger digital MF sensors (full size 645) too, and a legacy square lover would just crop to square.

More intriguingly, if you consider that many of the Zeiss lenses have an image circle that is comfortably larger than that required to cover 56mm x 56mm (that's why you can use them with a Flexbody), it is possible that such an adapter used with legacy lens will cover a fullsize 645 sensor and give you, in this case, an even wider FOV and even shallower DoF than they were originally designed to on traditional 6x6 film.

I bet legacy Hassie users (and many others) would be very, very, very happy to shell out $600 or even $1600 for such an adapter (again, provided there's a mirrorless MF digital body with which to use it).

I'm of the camp that thinks ALL digital cameras of the future will/should become mirror less, so I'm very intrigued by this idea.