Thanks Dinesh I may be as tall as Yoda , but you are as ugly.

I look at split filter, or I like to call modified filter printing in a very funny but simple way..

Remember the days when there were no MC papers and all papers were graded
now imagine making a series of prints on different grades. You will find that more than one grade can make a successful print.

1. one would be soft and gentle with very low shadow tones
2. another would be great for the mid tones with problems at both ends
3. another would have great contrast in the shadows but the highlights would be blown out.

Now imagine being able to control all three aspects with a printing method, and this is where the split, modified method works..
With some creative thinking you can layer the best of 1,2,3 and with some imagination hold back or burn in to create a print that is not possible with 1 filter. No matter what anyone says on this subject , I have confidence to know how to juggle all three areas and end up with a print that IMO is superior to a single filter print.
I know this due to thousands of past prints , using both methods... Yes I do use single filter prints and yes I do use graded paper.

If one is capable as some here claim to make a negative that fits into the graded papers sweet spot then I will agree that one does not need to use split filtering.
I would argue that this would have to be a grade somewhere in the middle and be a normal looking print balance, with the right photo project totally correct.
In the real world that I am subjected too, I work with clients that cannot master the single negative, single grade paper, and quite frankly have no desire to do this.
There fore I use a modified filter method which allows me to get out of a negative a print the photographer visualizes.

I tend to start with a filter that is lower, and end up with the higher filter.... I never use 0 or 00 as a starting point, but rather tend to be around 1/2 or 1 filter as
the starting point.
I also use a % method of printing .. I do not change the timer or aperture once the base filter exposure has been determined. but rather hit the timer , once, twice , four, times with the second filter exposure to control the contrast.