Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
You think?

Usually, after the vibrator is just a plain transformer and after that, a rectifying and filtering circuit. There's not much goes wrong there other than plain aging of components...

I played with vibrators when I had a GE Progress Line transmitters configured for mobile use. As OP and myself obtained these devices well used and with unknown history, reliability is pretty much in doubt. It'll be fun to restore it and I'd do it. (in fact I did) Would it be reliable enough for me to trust it? no....

Can you still get solid state replacements?? I know they existed for a while when these devices were actively used after their manufacturers declared EOL. I'm curious now...
The vibrators drove a transformer, and there were capacitors in the circuit to prevent the contacts pitting. The size of these capacitors is critical both for efficiency and long contact life.

There were synchronous vibrators, too - they had two sets of contacts and rectified the current from the secondary of the transformer.
The replacement was essentially a solid state multivibrator with two hefty transistors, one could be home made pretty easily.