Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
Are you planning to take 7.2 baterries and use a register in series to drop down the voltage whatever your flash calls for?

I have a 45 something (I'm at work) and as I recall, it takes 6 batteries, which makes it 9 volts. It also has a different battery holder for rechargables.

Please know that using registers for this purpose works very poorly. The voltage drop across the register will be current dependent, so when the flash is charging at full, the voltage will drop more and when it's fully charged, voltage drop will be zero - meaning full battery voltage will be applied to the flash unit.

Also, whatever the voltage register drops will be dissipated as heat. It can heat up significantly.

I think you mean resistors, not registers.

Your right about the batteries. I forgot it took six AA. So three lithium ion batteries wold be 11.1v. Finding the right size is going to be tough.

Resistors would have to be replaced so that the capacitors and strobes are protected. Increasing the resistance right behind the strobes (my flash has two) would decrease the voltage back down to a safe level.

It's only a 2v increase so I'm not too worried about the capacitors.

Here's a similar project. Someone made an external battery pack for their metz. 7.2v
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...57605526458924