Lodima is a silver chloride contact printing paper. It is not suitable for enlarging because it is very slow. Therefore, it is posted in the Contact Printing Forum where all of the Lodima paper posts have been made for many years and before that, where most all of my posts were made beginning when APUG first began.

SIlver chloride paper has a longer gray scale than any enlarging paper.There is simply more separation in the mid tones, which give prints mad eon silver chloride paper a glow that is virtually unachievable with enlarging paper. Also,the blacks have a higher Dmax--are blacker than the blacks on enlarging paper. All of Edward Weston's silver prints were on silver chloride paper. And Ansel Adams most beautiful prints—those from the late 1930s and early 194os were printed on silver chloride paper.

Alfred Stieglitz once said, "If you show people the imperfect next to the perfect, people will see the difference at once. But if you show the imperfect alone people are only too apt to be satisfied with it."

In this context, silver chloride paper is the perfect paper; enlarging paper is the imperfect.

When I began making contact prints I used enlarging paper. It was not until eight years later that I began to use silver chloride paper—Azo, which was the only silver chloride paper then available. A few years after that, I reprinted all of my prints that had been on enlarging paper onto Azo. The difference was like day and night. I destroyed almost all of the prints that had been printed on enlarging paper--the Azo prints wee so much better—and they were so much easier to make. Of the hundreds of prints I reprinted, there was only one where the print on elarging paper was more beautiful.

If you make contact prints and care about print quality you will want to at least try to print on a good silver chloride paper.

Michael A. Smith