Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
As an occasional user of the stuff . . .

1) I don't think it is as sharp as some other B&W material, but another suggestion that is often recommended when wading into this stuff is to shoot a frame or two on the first roll without a filter (at ISO 400 or abouts) to provide a cross-check on the rest of the process. That's a good way to eliminate a few variables. I developed in HC110 dilution B (1+31) to establish a known base and don't recollect it being obviously grainy, but I also think the overall effect is a bit softer.

2) In comparing with other films, you have to remember it's essentially a traditional ISO 400 B&W emulsion, not Acros or Delta 100.

3) I'm not convinced the IR focus adjustment is necessary, or at least don't think it needs to be as large as 'in the olde days' because the film is not picking up much beyond the visible spectrum.

4) At the risk of being repetitious and redundant, there is much to gain by doing a test or three in familiar territory, near the darkroom so you can assess and adjust between rolls to build a "knowledge base." My own experience leads me to think many adjustments that may be intuitive working with normal pan films fall apart in the spectrum where our eyes don't work so well. Even though I was working within a 25 mile radius of home I went through about three tanks worth of gas running back and forth to process and evaluate results.

5) And I still think I need to re-evaluate my whole process next time out!

E.g., Next time it will be better!
Thanks! I like the idea of doing a few non IR shots DUH! Can't believe I didn't think of that.

I think "soft" is the proper word as I don't SEE grain pixels but still looks "blurred" at the edges.

Thanks again.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk