Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
Are labs now scanning and digitally printing?

Yes they are, and I can look back and confidently say it's been this way since 2002 when a noticeable drop off of traditional (colour) printing occurred. D printing is not a patch at all on the now-defunct and much lamented Ilfochrome and probably never will be, but the way we are going is the only way we have. Wise to skill-up on hybridising work to understand what is involved and assist the labs in getting the very best out of the image — and this is definitely not a job for Walmart or any other high street shop, only a pro lab. Input is either home-scan or drum scan (often at horrendous cost, proportional to Mb and print size). Output is on a bewildering array of papers from silk fibre to traditional very heavy way art media or film and the results are very, very good indeed. You think I'm easy to please? Na-da!! To dateI'm very happy with what I'm doing but I do miss Ilfochrome, but have saved a fortune in prints on it.
I'm really sad I can't even have one of my Kodachrome images optically printed on ilfochrome type paper, it's such a shame, I just want one image printed that way, it would be great to have both as a legacy to the film and my K64 project but also as a comparative tool so I could confidently compare scans and prints to find the closest I can to what would be possible. If anyone has any paper and would do this for me, I would mail you my favorite slide (the one no one has commented on in my gallery, the tree one from the Grand Canyon) and pay of course for the privilege.

Perhaps just one print...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk