Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
Not analogous. In a camera you are intentionally letting light in during the exposure. It's what makes the exposure. The flatter the better (especially for a few camera or other camera used with lenses that cover more than the bare minimum film size frame) as you don't want that bouncing around - i.e. flare. The analogous situation for a darkroom is the area right around the enlarger which we've all agreed can be black or dark if the enlarger leaks. Theoretically there is some analogous exposure risk in light reflected off the easel or baseboard, off walls, and then back but the level of this would be so low in comparison to the sensitivity of paper that it just wouldn't matter, unless maybe your darkroom is very, very tiny.

For film there is no analogous situation at all as there should be no light present to reflect.
Good point Roger. The concern I would have, in developing film outside of a tank, such as tray or film hangers, would be a light leak that may have been overlooked. Or bulk loading film, loading sheet film holders, loading roll film reels. Also, working with color paper, which are not as sensitive as film. Black would be more fool proof, but, perhaps, overkill.

The one darkroom I built and painted flat black, I never got around to completing and using, and all my other darkrooms were converted rooms, used as is, meaning whatever was there before it became my darkroom, and I don't believe I ever had a problem, other than noticing the after glow of the florescent lights.