Quote Originally Posted by peter38
Ed, I felt that when I shot the gray card for a Zone 1 and it came out on my contact sheet as a 1 that I had calibrated my meter. Am I incorrect?
No. The meter itself serves one real function: To measure the amount of light it receives. That is independent of any particular film-developer combination.
There is, in most meters a "translation" to produce f/stop and shutter speed information, but there are talbes (I've made one myself) to determine exposure from foot-candle illumination and film speed. The calibration of the METER itself would be to determine the departure from indicated light levels as compared to "true" values.

I have horrible thoughts of those who have fallen into the "Sunny 16" trap, where they maesure light on a sunny day with their meter, and if the reading agrees with the "Sunny 16" idea (when set to f/16, the shutter speed will equal the exposure index) they consider their meter to be "calibrated".
There is a great deal more to calibration, including the "lineartiy" of the reading - is it accurate at high light levels AND low light levels-, how it is affected by the COLOR of the light... and a whole bunch more.

When you determine the aount of light necessary to effect "Zone 1" on the film, you are establishing a WORKING exposure index for that particular film, which may or may not coincide with the advertised exposure index of the film. If it does, it does not necessarily mean your meter is correct, a.k.a, "calibrated".