I've done some work on this, but not with pictorial examples. I exposed grey cards and step tablets, and developed the films to the same contrast index to evaluate curve shape, speed and graininess (sharpness is very difficult to evaluate objectively). To do this properly in my opinion one must set up experiments to compare series of films in the same speed category, developed in a standard developer. That is the first step. So for example, one might choose to compare TMax 100, Delta 100 and Acros, all developed to the same contrast index in D-76. Or HP5+ and Tri-X in D-76. To compare say FP4+ in D-76 to Adox CMS 20 in Adotech, doesn't tell me very much. The films are entirely different, as are the developers.

A serious problem with any such attempt at a comprehensive test is that with the exception of a fairly standard developer such as D-76/ID-11 (which most general purpose films have been tested in during product development prior to release), one simply cannot generalize regarding the relative behaviour of films with different developers and processing regimes. Even with D-76, it is difficult to make definite conclusions regarding image characteristics. In a hypothetical comparison between say HP5+ and Tri-X in D-76, one might initially find Tri-X to appear grainier and have lower effective speed than HP5+. Switch to Rodinal, or XTOL, and things could change. Then of course there are staining developers, compensating developers etc. Even changing the dilution and agitation routine with D-76 could reverse the initial conclusions. And what about the flexibility of films relative to eachother? How do they behave when contrast is increased or reduced etc. So many variables. It is difficult to generalize because any test is made under a specific set of conditions.

Even if one could sort that all out, it is then important following the "lab testing", to conduct blind image evaluation tests. Sometimes you come to a set of conclusions based on densitometry etc, but in actual image evaluation subjective factors come to the surface. Maybe the film that appeared grainier in exposures of uniform density now appears less grainy and subjectively sharper in an actual photograph.

On and on in goes. In the end only a few basic conclusions can be arrived at.