Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
How did you come to the conclusion you needed a Beutler developer before choosing the film?
I have a lot of experience with developers and films because I am old and have spent my whole life working with photography and darkrooms. I became a big fan of beutlers back in the day when you could still get Agfa 25 in 4x5. I still find it hard to beat beutlers with fine grain film. Not just for sharpness but for the mid tone density. I switched to Pryocat HD a couple of years ago to see if I could work the same negs in silver or platinum. I have a hard time putting my finger on what the "feel" of pyro is. I am still not sure I like it. I know that I get really clean unmottled film but the quality of the prints is inconsistent for me in that sometimes it is great and sometimes it seems flat and I don't know why. I am thinking of doing this old side by side testing with pyro and beutlers with my sheet films (fp4 and tmax 400) and my 120 acros. Just to see if I can get a better grip on the pyro. The other thing is that I have done these tests a lot of times and it is always surprising, once printed, just how little difference there usually is.
Dennis