The whole meter issue really bothers me. It's not Henry's fault. But I don't like problems I can't realistically solve, so this is an area where perhaps I was better off being ignorant of these things. Just reading the list of meter modifications (various filters, baffling) was depressing enough, but I wonder if the Minolta Spotmeter F I've trusted all these years really reads anything close to 1 degree.

I'll have to re-read some of the book this weekend, but I'm glad I wasn't totally out in left field when I found Henry's jumping back and forth between exposure theory and Zone System testing somewhat confusing.

For today I will leave you with another of my flare questions - I think I've asked this before but perhaps not in the same way so I apologize in advance for being repetitive. It's just that often with this stuff I think I get it and then the more I think about it I'm no longer sure:

Example: In-camera test. Target is a white card illuminated by two flood bulbs. So the white card is very bright. Now, for simplicity (since exposure theory precision is not relevant in this example), assume we meter the card and want to give say 3 or 4 stops less exposure, to produce a fairly low negative density. Suppose this requires an exposure of 1/60s @ f/2. Make the exposure. Then shoot a second frame giving the same exposure by setting 1s @ f/22. For these two frames, is the flare factor the same or different? Assume only camera flare and lens flare, and that the lens diaphragm separates equal numbers of glass elements. So to summarize the situation a different way (just for clarity), the total units of image forming light reaching the film is the same in both exposures. In the first exposure the intensity of light entering the camera is much higher but for a short period of time. In the second exposure, the intensity of light entering the camera (and the rear half of the lens) is much lower but is present for a longer period of time. In my mind I'm thinking higher intensity causes more reflection off various surfaces (including the emulsion itself), so flare should increase even though the light is present for less time compared with the second exposure. Not sure. And it is difficult to test in practice due to possible shutter speed inaccuracies.