Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I think this is the sort of response you make which give people pause... You're very defensive in your response, and imply that you're more successful and talented than those that disagree with you. In fact, you all but say that anyone without a "background" which benefits you is useless to you.
My own interaction with you has been similar. You recently posted about your disappointment with your Grand Canyon trip infrared results. I wrote that it was unwise to use materials you hadn't worked with before, especially when you were on location (In fact, you didn't even have the proper filter with you). Your response was that you didn't care how the images came out. I left that discussion wondering why you had posted in the first place.

I have no doubt that you'd like to become a competent film photographer. You haven't been here long, and if you'd like to maintain the good will of members, you need to be less confrontational, especially in the threads you initiate.
With regards to the Grand Canyon IR comment, its out of context, I knew it was not exposed properly, I asked for advice on the grain characteristics of the film and you chimed in about something totally not helpful which was to tell me I shouldn't have shot in the first place. That's why I responded that way.

I didn't say those without a background are useless, that's what your'e reading into it, I didn't say anything about those without a background just that they aren't those we should take our best advice from, those are the people we can give advice too, this is how it works and how we perpetuate good "whatever" be it photography, art, philosophy, financial success, those who are strong in one area should help those who aren't (assuming those people are also willing to do the work and not just lazy bums). That's my opinion of it, but I didn't say all that, just because I leave something out doesn't mean you can infer that I mean something else.

You're right, I was a little harsh with Matt, at least he could see why I reacted the way I did and then of course responded in kind which made sense to me.