I don't really know why people have discussed the fate of Jessops so much on a forum devoted to film-based photograph
Well.... Because I like a good moan...

I think Jessops pretty much committed slow suicide - it is the fact they did so much damage by promoting digital by burying analogue and buying out so any independents and closing them down that leaves me, and some others I'm sure, feeling pretty negative about them.

I was in Waterstones today. Books also have a modern digital counterpart, of course. Waterstones sell digital readers, but alongside the books. There seems to be no 'books are dead, buy a Kindle' type hype- they just offer them alongside for whoever is interested. Even HMV, in the corner where they still sold music, had CDs and vinyl for sale as well as downloads on line.

Alas, Jessops took a different tack - promote the new as a replacement for the old, ignore your existing customer base and you will then sell lots of new widgets. Well... It didn't work.

Maybe the good news is that the companies that do meet our needs, the online and mail order companies, will pick up a little extra trade from the few odd film the occasional branch of Jessops did sell...