Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
The simplicity of your system is great John.

I've considered going strictly C-41 several times simply for that reason. In the end though I still enjoy "real" B&W films and there's no C-41 B&W in 4x5.

One of the things C-41 taught me well though was that a standardized contrast rate could essentially fill all my needs regardless of the exposure placement. I can't remember the last time I used plus or minus developing.

I need to play with the one time idea with my DD-X and WD2D+, it would be nice to have one process.

I giggled at your description of agitation, I've used a fair number of those myself.

Flickr and APUG galleries do have great value for considering lighting, composition, toning, square vs rectangular, focus and DOF type things. Similar to the end you suggest on the one film thread I have setup searches on Flickr with parameters like " TXP or (delta 400) " and it can be interesting guessing which shot is which film but, 2 of the lessons I've learned are that 1-equally acceptable and unacceptable results appear to be possible from most all films it is truly hard to see which is which, and 2-most online photos simply don't have the size or quality level that are needed to learn much about any film's grain or tonality.

thanks mark

yeah, i try to keep things as simple as possible ... now i don't even bother agitating most of the time, i just leave the room
i forgot the "raise the plastic wand in the tank up and down or spin it" and " raise and lower the coath hanger in the tupperware of developer"

you are right, about the galleries, they give one an idea but it is hard to see the real thing ... and if we put our noses to the screen, it doesn't really
do the same thing as sticking our noses to the print

i am on the edge of doing c41 and e6 processing these days ... i always remembered hearing how crazy difficult and all consuming it was,
but it seems with the current state of packaged chemistry it is even easier than processing b/w. i had hoped i could do the first development
in coffee ... and the second development in whatever is in package #2, but i guess i can't