Quote from publication J-300:
As a photographer, you have a unique sensitivity to the environment around you. But, as an amateur photographer, you donít have to worry about the environmental and safety regulations that apply to commercial businesses and professional photographers. But you still need to know how to safely handle and dispose of photographic processing chemicals.

An amateur is someone who engages in an activity as a pastime rather than a profession. An amateur photographer does not generate (or try to generate) revenue from the use of photography. When you become a professional photographer and charge for your services, you are required by law to comply with certain environmental and workplace safety regulations (some of which are covered in this publication). As an amateur photographer, you are not required by law to follow those regulations but we are providing recommendations on safe handling and waste management practices.

[Page 1.] (Emphasis added.)
See Appendix A for the listing of state household hazardous waste collection coordinators. You may contact your state coordinator for information on the household hazardous waste collection facility nearest you.
You can also discharge your photographic wastes to a local municipal sewer authority, often referred to as a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW). Contact the POTW directly to see if they will accept your waste.

[Page 5.]
Kodak does not claim to override local law but they still give good information on how to manage photographic waste.