Hello...thanks for the responses.

I should've been more clear, but I have had some rolls of B&W processed by a lab. The flatness is there, but less so in comparison to my home processed rolls. But seeing as I only just got the Hexar and have only dropped off 2 traditional B&W rolls (1 HP5, 1 Tri-X) and 1 of them isn't back yet (part of the reason I want to do this myself, takes too long for the lab to send to Winnipeg affiliate), it could've just been the scene or the weather.

The Konica Hexar automatically comes with a pull out hood for it's 35mm f2 lens. I did a test inside a restaurant, towards the sun rays and through the viewfinder it was extremely hazy. But on my processed roll, it came out fine, no haze. I've had issues with that with the Nikons because only 1 of my lenses has a hood, and it is a crop lens suited to APS-C DSLRs, so I don't really use it. So I can't see it being lens flare and haze from the Hex.

I think Jonathan's idea of the scanner being fooled. Full disclosure - it was mostly of photos at an ice sculpture festival. I didn't take many photos of the sculptures, but of the people (street photography), and invariably lots of snow and ice would get in peripherals and backgrounds. But this occurred in photos on a main commercial street - no ice sculptures to be found and far less snow around.

Because I'm a complete newbie to B&W processing, I've been scouring the net for some tips. I like contrasty B&W. I find it works so much better than the digital equivalent which will have little detail and overblown highlights. Contrasty HP5, Tri-X, or FP4 is far more graceful. On RFF there's a thread about this, and the consensus seems to be to try underexposing (maybe by -1, instead of my usual -0.3) and overdeveloping. Do you think that might help?

I'll also try inspecting the negatives up close.

P.S. Would it help to see some photos?