Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
It had a tow and shoulder like nearly all films then, nothing extreme, and maybe even less than Pan F Plus, but still there. Acros seems to be a straight line film with a slight tendency to sweep up in the highlights. That is the look many of us don't like in some modern films, a lot like TMY. TMX is a fairly straight line film, but has a very slight shouldering off in many developers. Tonally,I find it much more like working with older emulsions than Acros.

As I mentioned, I have some well stored FX and will try to do a comparison or two in the next week or so for my own curiosity.

I haven't shot Acros for a few months, but have a couple hundred feet of the Freestyle packaged stuff left. I had never really come to terms with it, but just as I was finishing off the last 100 feet I tried it in PMK and thought that was very promising. I don't really like having to mess with Pyro (everything else goes into Xtol right now), but think it might be worth it for the Acros.

I personally don't at all miss the slow speed of FX, though it sounds like one or two people do. I only put up with the slowness because I like the look.
Yes, Acros is unique in that rather than shouldering fairly gently like TMax and Delta, the straight line actually kinks upward in the highlights and remains straight at that higher contrast level through the extreme highlights, with a relatively abrupt shoulder thereafter.