I've never reduced exposure more than 2/3 of a stop in an effort to counteract flare density in the low zones (nothing earth shattering), the notion that it causes problems is simply not realized in my experience. The very few times I have done it, only necessitated a quick re-evaluation of the important high value and planned developmet time.

Stephen points out that flare is always present to some degree, I simply do print through it as suggested, it's precisely why I rarely have ever made any attempt at compensation for it. But in the case of "excessive" flare possibilities, I have reduced exposure to no apparent problems----I would rather have a negative that minimizes it to some degree (which I believe that it does), while also printing through what remians. So, if after the shadow placement is made, it is believed that there is added density to it due to flare, then reduce exposure slightly to counteract it, re-evaluate the important high value, maybe adjust the planned development time, maybe not, make the exposure and move on. Some point of theory may suggest that this is detrimental, but I have some instances of photographing that suggests it is not.

Anyway, good or bad, that' how I do it, off to work now.
Chuck