Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
To make an LTM usable today, by which I mean it can integrate into other newer methods of attaching hoods and filters etc, then I would forget (regretfully) the early Elmars because you need to remove the filter to change aperture.

Steve
Hi

Well I use the aperture adjustment (link below) ring, then UV (or Y0) filter and then FISON hood on a coated '49 Elmar and a IIIc. To adjust the aperture you slacken the filter clamp-screw rotate the filter and tighten the screw. Not quick like a click stopped lens but no hazard of finger printing a lens. You don't have to use a filter it (the ring) will work ok with just a hood. If you need to change filter it is slow as the ring is sprung into the filter, other wise the solution is practical. If you use several filters get several rings...

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00O3IQ

The VOOLA I have I got in photo shop 8 years ago and the Ch collectors seem to have bought all the others as it is now astro for a bit of chromed brass, last one I say was 50 GBP...

I stick on a generic plastic 36mm cap on front of the fison, ..., lens assembly in collapsed or extended state and throw into Hadley digital...

The LTM Elmars are very different year on year I'd get a red dial (i.e. late one) as they are better then the later f/2.8 post '57 LTM ones. They are collectors and way over priced for the optical performance you get. You are paying for the name plate.

With a cron or tar I use a leitz filter and a barn door hood, the barn doors are still cheap today...

Noel
P.S. the filter adjustment ring is only meant for the clamp on 36mm filters thn slip on early collectible ones are much less convenient.