Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post

The Speed shutter was only fully open at B. Every other speed was another slit size that traveled across the film. On a 35 there is only the opening and closing shutter that followed behind it. On a Speed, the shutter was a very long piece of fabric with several slit openings in it, in relation to how far you turned the winding key. Only on B was the both open at the same time.
I am confused again. I've had a reply from an APUGer( Henry Finley) telling me why you can't electronic flash with Speeds other than on the B setting and yet you have managed it.

Were there Speeds that were usable with electronic flash. There must be a difference between what Henry Finley is referring to and what you are referring to.

Is there a simple explanation that reconciles what seem to be irreconcilable statements? The only one I can think of is that you did it on the B setting but this would seem to pose great if not impossible difficulties unless the scene was pitch black and the only illumination was the flash so opening to B and shutting it again resulted in no other light reaching the film

Thanks

pentaxuser
Henry is correct that electronic flashes cannot be used on a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter except with the B setting for both the focal plane shutter and the lens shutter. However an electronic flashes can be used on a Speed Graphic with a lens shutter and the focal plane shutter on O.