Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
And of course so much of the 'art' work from the late 1800s and early 1900s had many of the qualities of Holga work.
Well that explains why even though Ansel Adams was using an 8x10 view camera and careful technique he initially had a hard time convincing people what he was doing was serious art.

Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
I thought I saw a comparison on here between a Hasselblad and a Holga actually, and the guy was saying that the center of the image from the Holga was as sharp as the Hasselblad
There are two schools of lying. I'm of the school that the lie should be pretty plausible because it lowers people's defenses and makes them more likely to accept what you are saying without doing their own due diligence. And of course there is the other end of the spectrum, the Joseph Goebbels school of propaganda. Joseph Goebbels said if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

By Hasselblad I assume you mean the normal 80mm Zeiss Planar. That lens particularly in the center is sharper than the majority of medium format lenses I've seen it go head to head with. The probability that ANY medium format lens picked at random is sharper is low. I mean if you are going to tell a whopper why pick that lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
Using a plastic toy camera?

I'd say there are NO pro's out there that would lower themselves to using that.
Go to the MoMA and look at the photographic "art." If you look at what is on display there and don't come away thinking anything is possible then I don't know what to say. A famous photographer peed in a jar, took a picture of it, and called it "art." A Pro using a Holga is no where near the wackiest or frankly most stomach churning thing I've ever seen. A pro using a Holga for a particular application to express their artistic vision seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Frankly I don't really have an issue with pros picking and choosing reasonable tools to express their artistic vision. It's just the marketing of crappy cameras to the masses at exorbitant prices and telling them this is what film cameras are about is what rubs me the wrong way.