Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
Bill,sorry but this answer doesn't help much me!...I buy any lens only if it's in good conditions.
I need the best 50 mm,I repeat (i'm sorry...I'm tired too!!!...I'm sorry...I'msorry my friends!) I don't need brightness...I need sharpness,contrast...acutance anything else!!!..This is not a subjective detail, it is an objective detail... It is mathematics:the technical features of any lens are objective,they does not depend on personal taste ...they are equal for all, are universal. It's a picture you get with that lens that is subjectively good or bad ... not the lens in itself...The sharpness,the contrast,the distortion of lens are technical datas that are measured in laboratory scientifically ... not through personal tastes.At least it's my opinion...I hope that you can understand me.I know that write and speak english very bad.i'm very sorry for this.

It would be sufficient only a rapid answer...anything else!...Zuiko 1.4 or Zuiko 1.8...this is the dilemma!
Please don't hate me friends!
Regards!
I know that we are frustrating you, but there really isn't a clear answer to your question.

If you exclude the small difference in maximum aperture, and are comparing performance stopped down a stop or two, the Zuiko 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 lenses perform very similarly - any difference in performance is more likely due to sample variation then it is due to design differences.

If you do measure those things that can be measured on an optical bench, you will probably find that one will be slightly better at one f/stop, while the other will be slightly better art another.

The later versions have better coatings.

The f/1.4 version gives you a brighter viewfinder. The f/1.8 version is very compact.