Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
John how do I recognize the 1.4 multicoated version?...
Is there a particular identification?...In my Zuiko if I remember well (now it is not with me) there's this identification:
"G.zuiko om-system Auto-s"...could this identification be right?...I'm sure that it was a G.Zuiko...Do you know something about this version/this serie?
Thanks
In general terms, single coated lenses are labeled with a letter of the alphabet and the name Zuiko. The letter used indicates how many elements are used: A=1, B=2, C=3, etc. Your G.Zuiko is a single coated lens. Some early production lenses were labeled with the letters MC to indicate multi-coating. Late production lenses are not specifically labeled as MC, but multi-coating was used on all lenses starting around the early 1980's. There were definitely differences in the way that lenses were labeled over the production run.

A couple of examples:

50mm f1.4 Zuiko AUTO-S
Introduced as part of the original "M" system. Early examples are labeled as G.Zuiko and have silver colored accents around the filter mounting threads as well as the aperture ring: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM G.ZUIKO AUTO-S 1:1.4 f=50mm 470854. There was also a version of the G.Zuiko without the silver markings. When Olympus started to multi-coat all lenses, the 'G' was dropped and the lenses were labeled "MC". The last version was simply labeled as follows: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-S 50mm 1:1.4 1123989 Japan. I used my serial number as an example and this is definitely a multi-coated lens.

35mm f2.0 Zuiko AUTO-W
I have one with a low serial number that is a "Silver-nose". The complete labeling on the filter ring is: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO MC AUTO-W 1:2 f=35mm 106322 Japan.
I have a version that was made a little later and does not have the silver accents that is labeled: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO MC AUTO-W 1:2 f=35mm 129334 Japan.
The final version from after 1981 is labeled as follows: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-W 35mm 1:2 1508xx made in Japan.