Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
Welcome back you all. Glad you are planning on the event. Thank you again for the Google map project mentioned at the start of this thread. I gather it has helped a great number of our visitors.

The Gowin/Gohlke show is definitely a winner. Must see for all fans of them, B&W and Mt. St. Helens. Gohlke has a wide range of formats. Some are printed 8x20, but may be smaller and enlarged. Most look to be enlargements of 4x5 or 8x10. Really nice work by both artists.

I donít know if Mat is entering Fava again, but Peter and I will be coming out. Maybe we could do another Oberlin lunch if you & Barbara are so inclined. I think deadline is Feb. 17th before 5 PM, but I need to check.

John
Frank was shooting mostly 4x5 at that point IIRC. Earlier work had often been done with a TLR (Rollei, I believe), and around the time of the Mt. St. Helens project starting up he also got one of the Plaubel Makina 67 folders with the Nikkor lens. I believe he had the 80mm. He may have shot some at Mt. St. Helens with the 67 if working quickly was important, as it appears it was in some of his Mt. St. Helens photos. He got interested in the aftermath of natural disasters after a mile wide tornado killed 45 people in his home town of Wichita Falls, TX in 1979. He flew in the day after the storm to check on his family with only a small number of sheets of B&W 4x5 film and his camera. I was listening to the reports that day with a 'dorm mother' on the college campus who was from Vernon, which was also struck by a tornado in that outbreak. There were people in a bank at a mall who sheltered in a bank vault. When they came out the mall was gone.

Frank returned to Mt. St. Helens yearly for something like 9(?) years each spring to record the recovery of the natural areas around Mt. St. Helens.

Lee