Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
Note that scans do not do reversals much justice. Projected, or at least through a viewer is my prefered way to view them. In my opinion it is the most perfect way to shoot film. You cannot get any greater detail. However the scans are still higher quality than negitive scans.
Thank-you for showing us the scans. They look fantastic even in that form. I'd be happy to get a bit of that quality in a Super 8 reversal film which is where I'm heading with my experiments on 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
One does not have anything to do with the other. They are seperate steps.
If your dev uses Sodium thiocyanate, then you should not use a permanganate based bleach. They are not compatible* and this has been discussed elsewhere (possibly on this forum). It is also mentioned in the Kodak 2000 document 'Processing KODAK Motion Picture Films, Module 15 Processing Black-and-White Films'. Bleach R-10 (Potassium permanganate) should not be used with developer D94 (which has Sodium thiocyanate). D94a type dev (which is safe with permanganate) uses DTOD instead of the thiocyanate. See section 15-25 and 15-26 of the document. I know in theory that after washing there is no developer left on the film but not mixing the two substances in the reversal process is the recommendation.

I do not want to use a dichromate based bleach (and it is not even available in the UK) therefore I need to think about what is in the dev. The use or non-use of the dichromate has already caused enough heated debate, so let's not pursue that one, please.

*I have read a description of the chemical reaction between the two but cannot find it at this moment.