Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
I agree with this too, but would like to make a comment from the perspective of a beginning, novice printer. It is easy to get caught up in techniques and too focused on them when you are learning. And not just techniques or technical aspects, but also just too caught up in particular aspects of what you are trying to accomplish.

Recently I made a print and my attention was on the tones in the sky... I burned too long and ended up with a darker sky on my print than I wanted, with that obvious "burned in" look. But another person pointed out that this same burning in increased the grain in the sky, and the coarse texture by contrast enhanced the smoother finer look of the water and foreground below it. He was right, and I hadn't seen it because I was too focused on the tone. I was blind to something that was quite obvious in the print right in my own hand. It makes me wonder what else I'm blind to!

As for lith printing, I am very curious about lith redevelopment because I've seen some beautiful results, including some amazing work by Tim Rudman at his website. The main thing that is holding me back from trying it is that I still have a lot to learn about regular printing first. I have in my imagination a particular kind of print that might look extraordinary with lith redevelopment, but it is more like an unachievable ideal or goal to strive for eventually....

I like trying new and different things, so I doubt I will wait to become a master printer before trying lith. There are not enough years left in my life to wait for perfection before experimenting!

-Ned
I'm not saying that technique is not important - as long as the efforts are to promote what you want do bring forward with your picture. If you're experimenting with a particular picture, are you not doing so to improve how you present it? If yes, you are serving the content by trying to improve the technique and appearance of the image, and that is, in my book, what we should concern ourselves with.

What I don't think is a good idea, is to make a series of pictures about a certain technique, but to take a group of negatives that have pictures that tell a good story together, and then try to present them as well as we possibly can.