Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
its easy to generalize and say one size fits all.
its obvious to me that everyone who picks up a camera has different reasons for doing it.
in addition to boredom, i find images with blur and grainyness and distress to be more interesting
more challenging to do than "straight" photography ..

after viewing your work ( your signature ), why do you chose to shoot in such a rigid sort of way ?
Felinik, I quite like your work... by rigid, jnanian must mean that every shot is "perfect", you show consistent high quality and strong compositions.

So literally not an insult but asking why do you feel each image must be perfect? Consistent high quality is a good thing. In a high-stakes world, your reputation may depend on the fact that your work always represents the highest standards.

jnanian has taught me that imperfection is a quality. Also that sometimes it is better to "relax" "let your hair down" "bare your soul" and "lay it on the line". Share what you've done, rather than show nothing because little failures don't live up to your expectations.

An old friend once told me that the key to success is to never show anything that you aren't 100% happy with. I used to take that to mean each image had to be perfect. Now I am exploring photography in ways that would get my f/64 card revoked... I'm deciding that fine grain isn't the ultimate, sharpness isn't the ultimate. They remain my first loves, but sometimes the better picture isn't the sharpest one.

My grayscale cat's an example. In my collection of photographs, I believe it is the ONLY image of a grayscale and a cat that I have. It's not that sharp. The next frame is a really cute, really sharp photograph of the same cat. But not nearly as interesting a picture.