First of all, I'm a sunny outdoor shooter. Through all the info in this forum, over the last few months I've done a great job at narrowing down my process using PanF+, Delta 100 and TMAX 100, and I've been improving my results using these films. Switching from digital back to film was a bit of a challenge at first, but this place has taught me much and I'm really enjoying the process now.

Now, my friend is baptizing his baby this weekend. This is more of a learning exercise for me, but I'd still like to try to get some good results. No one asked me to take pictures, so this isn't an assignment or something I feel like I have to get good results from, but shooting indoors is not my MO and I'm not sure where to start. I've been reading about shooting 400 speed at 800 or 1600, and shooting 3200 at 1600, and I'm not sure which route I should take. I'd like to have controlled grain. I understand grain is probably unavoidable, but I don't want it to be too harsh (I like it for some outdoor work, but not so much for portraits). For developers, I have Ilfosol 3, Rodinal (Adinol), and DD-X. My understanding is for this type of shooting, the DD-X is probably going to be my best bet.

So my question is, which will yield me better results: Pushing 400, or using either Delta 3200 or TMAX 3200 at 1600? Any other suggestions to try? Also, I'm guessing 1600 will give me a little more handheld freedom, but does anyone think 800 is definitely too slow (I know, it's hard to say without being in the environment...)? Also, is it true that the more gentle you agitate, the less pronounced grain will be?

Thanks for the input!