Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
... One exercise that used to be given to most learners was to make a grid of (small, postcard sized) prints of a neg with a full range of tones that prints easily on a mid-grade. Print each grade and vary exposure by, say, 1/2 stops across a range of a couple of stops and arrange the prints on a board so that you have your 'standard' print in the middle. Going horizontally (change in exposure) or vertically (change in contrast) you see an example of the change in exposure or contrast, by whatever units you have used, and can more easily relate what you see on a future print with what you might want to change to get it where you want.
Martin, Thanks for your reply. The exercise sounds like a good idea to me. I did some printing last night and compared a non-filtered print to my #2, #2.5, #3, just to see what would happen. I got very confused as my non-filtered print is drastically different than what I get with a #2 MC filter. Your exercise sounds like just what I need. I'll do this before attempting to print anything else. Now I just need to figure out which of my negatives are "normal" enough to use. I think I'll mount the prints on a piece of cardboard to hang in the darkroom for future reference. Thanks a lot.