Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
This is a follow-up to John's survey about which/how many developers people use.

1. I'd like to know what chemicals, film and paper people started out with - the first stuff you used. Chemicals include film and print developers, fixer etc.

2. In reference to the above, how did you come to start out with them? eg: Were you taught by somebody? Did you read about them in a book? Were they the materials your favourite photographer used? Were they simply the materials available to you? Etc.

3. If you are not still using the materials you began with, why? Did you read more and want to try stuff? Were you disatisfied with what you were using? Did certain materials become unavailable? Did you get caught in the search for magic formulas, films etc? Did your style change?

4. Have you come full circle with anything? For example in the case of film developers, did you start out with D-76, then explore everything from D-1 to FX-whatever, and ultimately end up back with D-76? Same question applies to films, paper, paper developers.

Thanks
1. Instamatic with Verichrome Pan about 1966. My 1st SLR (a Petri) and Tri-X about 1968.
D-76, Dektol, Indicator Stop Bath, Kodak Fixer. Polycontrast SW glossy was the 1st paper.

2. On the advice of the kindly older gentleman behind the counter at the local Fedco camera dept. They had everything a regular camera store had back then.

3. I tried various developers and films over the years. Plus-X was my go to film for MF & LF.

4. I'm back to using D-76 and Dektol for standard developers. Tri-X for 35mm. I like the look of it. Using the last of my Plus-X cache in MF & LF and am trying out Fuji Neopan 100 as a replacement.