Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
If you were really dedicated to getting xx out to people you should have just bought the 1000ft reels, a set of cheap rewinds, and some black plastic bags and separate it out for your self instead. There's a thing called self reliance, and you don't need to ask a bunch of people to chip in $100 a can for cine stock and get pissy when people pointed out that the price is way high.

I remember fairly recently a member offered cine stock here respooled himself for $30-$50 a roll shipped. He had it asked if people wanted an it was at a fair price and it was snapped up. Simple.
I have no interest in "getting XX out to people" I was simply asking the question if there would be enough interest in getting factory re-spools of XX in 100' lengths for a tiny bit more cost than TMAX. There isn't. There are however lots of people (yourself included) who know best how I should have gone about this, and I apologize for not checking with the assemble brilliance here so I could find out how this should have been done before contacting Kodak. A few trips out to Hollywood, a few ebay purchases of equipment, and several hours hand winding 135-36 cassettes for folks sounds so much better than spending ten extra bucks for XX? A film which I foolishly believed was liked for what it looks like not because it can be got on the cheap. Moron at work here. Again- I'm not re-spooling this myself, this was coming from Kodak at their quoted price, a little bit more than the retail price for TMAX. Yep, more than Tri-X. Yep, more than TMAX, Yep, more than buying a 1000' roll and chopping it up into lengths yourself in a black bag. A SPECIAL ORDER. Did that somehow get missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Well, I doubt there really is a magic film, but XX is not bad at all, and having used it, Tri-X and several others it certainly doesn't act substandard to me. In fact, it is actually a very flexible emulsion.

Either way, I thought this was actually a good idea that would allow a lot more people the opportunity to try it out. Face it, picking up and using 100 foot is not so bad, but if you do not know that you will like it, 400 foot is a pretty big commitment. But it appears that everyone is still perfectly happy with what they already have and the ones who were willing to try it are already comfortable with the larger rolls. I will continue to buy the 400 footers every month or so since I already know I like it, but others may miss out on that opportunity. Takes a while to shoot 400 foot of film but I put the spare on ice until I'm ready for another roll. It is certainly a very nice film, and the 400 foot rolls stack and store nicely in my freezer.
Thanks for the calm response. There are a few here who do seem to like it,who understand that it is a very flexible film with a really pleasing grain, and there was some interest- but not enough to make this work. SO the question is politely withdrawn, I no longer want to know if anyone is interested in Factory re-spools of 5222 in 100' rolls. Nor do I want to hear yet again how terrible the price was.