Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. It is interesting that not only we appreciate and remember Ansel Adams so fondly, but that he still manages to evoke emotion in your comments. To me, that is another sign how relevant he is today.

You make a good point, StoneNYC, and thank you for sharing something so very personal about yourself. I think I should have worded my observation about his life as "avoiding the entrapments of excessive wealth" rather than simply "avoiding the entrapments of wealth", but I definitely did not mean to say that he avoided wealth—I wished to focus on the entrapments of it, the negative side that often comes with excess. I suppose this is a point about one's philosophy of life, but what I was trying to share in my article was that I am inspired not only by Ansel Adams's work and teachings, but also by his life, in which combining frugality, endless optimism, and a way of reducing his needs, he was able to achieve the goals of a happy life, doing what he liked doing the most. At the same time, I can see examples of many famous persons, especially nowadays, their formidable skills and fame leading them to wealth—perhaps excessive wealth from some perspectives—that seemingly takes over their lives in an endless pursuit of even more wealth.Maybe they still do not feel wealthy and just need to carry on... Ansel Adams had the wisdom to know what was enough for him, and indeed it was not an awful lot by his contemporary standards.

As for your point about being well off at some point in my life, I can say that I have never felt poor. When I emigrated from Poland some 23 years ago that country was considered poor, but I have never felt it. Out family lived happily on less than $1 per day, and by the time I left it, I had about $100 in my pocket, of which I saved $50 over a period of a few years, and I borrowed the remaining $50 from a few neighbours. When foreigners visited us, they always felt for us being poor for not having some things that seemed important to them, which was surprising to us, often funny—the only thing we didn't really have was freedom, and that was the only thing that really mattered, then... With that $100, I had been lucky to begin a new life, find good education, work, and eventually start my own, small company, first in UK then in Ireland. I am well respected in what I do in business, and I employ a few people, satisfying all our needs, helping me invest in my photography and letting me have time for it. Still, I hope that one day photography might play an even bigger role in my life.

I wish you, StoneNYC, that you fulfil your dream soon, and that you never lose your inspiration and perseverance.
I would like to respond more thoroughly but I'm at work and on my phone. But I do feel I owe and apology for my harsh judgement. I was assuming you were an American (typical American small mindedneeds). And as you stated Americans often have a different view on what wealth and poor mean.

I congratulate you on your success, and thank you for responding with dignity and kindness, you show us all how to strive to be better.

I suppose you are right, it is nice to not be entrapped by certain circumstances that are often only problems of the rich and to be able to constantly focus and fulfill your life. It's hard to imagine for me, I agree I hope that I can become more wealthy than I am now, I have never been as poor as you, so perhaps I should appreciate my "poor wealth" as I have been able to afford nice equipment and time to shoot and process and hopefully soon I will be selling more of my work.

Time will tell.

Thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk