Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
Knothead, see post #6 in this thread.
Thanks - if you're referring to polyglot's post - I didn't see what I was looking for there. If you're referring to your OWN post - it wasn't at all clear to me that you were understanding what I was looking for. But only after seeing PP's post on the subject with the formulae I recognize the fxM constant... so - well.. thanks

What format are you shooting? I ask because the MicroNikkors sold for 35 mm cameras don't cover 4x5 at magnifications much below 4:1.
4x5. Should cover it just fine. I see no problems here.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to use a MicroNikkor at magnifications > 1:1, it should be reversed. My tests of my 55/2.8 MicroNikkor AIS found that it is best at f/4 above 1:1 and that image quality rapidly vanishes as it is stopped down farther.
yes of course. I may be an idiot but I'm no fool! I've written and taught LOTS on technical photography over the years...

Personally, and through the findings of others (web pages with experiments and the like) I'm not so sure the practice holds up to the theory. I would go to a Zeiss Luminar directly ordinarily but it looks like others have found the Micro Nikkor superior for this application. I've also had ASTOUNDING successes with my own 1960s 180mm Sironar at 1:1 and beyond (as mentioned - enough for 40x50 prints - I get asked frequently if I've shot on 8x10 film! so that's good right?)

You and most of the participants in this thread should read a book. Two books, in fact, and the last time I looked the usual places (abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, ...) showed copies of both at reasonable prices.

Lefkowitz, Lester. 1979. The Manual of Close-Up Photography. Amphoto. Garden City, NY. 272 pp. ISBN 0-8174-2456-3 (hardbound) and 0-8174-2130-0 (softbound).

A thorough discussion of getting the magnification, lighting, and exposure. Especially good on working above 1:1. Extensive bibliography.

Gibson, H. Lou. Close-Up Photography and Photomacrography. 1970. Publication N-16. Eastman Kodak Co. Rochester, NY. 98+95+6 pp. The two sections were published separately as Kodak Publications N-12A and N-12B respectively. Republished in 1977 with changes and without the 6 page analytic supplement, which was published separately as Kodak Publication N-15. 1977 edition is ISBN 0-87985-206-2.

Gibson is very strong on lighting, exposure, and on what can and cannot be accomplished. His books, although relatively weak on getting the magnification with lenses made for modern SLR cameras, provide a very useful foundation for thinking about working at magnifications above 1:10 and especially above 1:1. Extensive bibliography.
Thanks for the suggestions - I've probably read far too many books on the subject as it is!! But I just don't have anything handy right now (they're all in storage) - Langford and LP Clerc are my go-to enclyclopaediae normally.