In high school, it was D-76 for film and Dektol for prints. The D-76 was often 1:1 to "save developer", not knowing that I should add 10% to development time for 4 ounces D-76 with 4 ounces water. However, for 2475 we'd mix a can of DK-50, and for High Contrast Copy we'd mix a can of D-19. (Dating myself there with "can".)

30 years later, I latched onto Ilford DD-X for developer, and scan and print for printing. Very practical for infrequent use, and an excellent speed-enhancing developer. When I need a lot of developer in a larger tank (and don't want to spend a fortune), or I'm developing old film (less fog), I'll often turn to Kodak HC-110. I have mixed a gallon of Kodak D-76 twice this time around, when processing really ancient Kodak films that had published D-76 times, and I didn't want to waste the film on experiments. (Wratten and Wainwright Panchromatic plates, things like that.) But both jugs of D-76 didn't get used up. (There's one several years old festering in the basement.)

But just to be ready, I have stocks of dry ingredients now to mix my own D-19, D-23, DK-50, DK-60a, D-76, etc. Also a 0-300g x0.1g digital scale, and a 200g calibration weight for it. Also 8 and 16 ounce glass jars to store mixed solutions in.