Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
Thanks for your thoughts Poisson. Thing is I really would like a good 35mm camera, both mine are now broken so this will be my primary camera and not a diversification to my collection as I don't have a collection as such. I have shot some medium format, my other half is also a keen photographer and I am lucky that he is so generous with his cameras that I can use them when I wish too. He actively encourages me to do MF. I loved most of the results I got with MF but I find it really difficult to get the results I would like to when I do my favourite photography which was the combination of my EOS 5 & my 100mm lens shooting macros. I just can't get close enough with MF, there probably is a way I just haven't figured it out yet. I also like quite blurry, mostly out of focus shots when I do macro so sharpness is not something I am looking for here. You can see what I mean here with some macros I posted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/louise_...306792/detail/

What I am ultimately looking for is my workhorse camera, one that I can learn learn inside out and back to front that I can grow with. I'm not looking to change cameras again for a long time if I buy this, I wouldn't even be looking for one if my 5 hadn't broken. But I do want to make a sound investment in a camera that will challenge me and will continue to work for a long time to come.
If all you do are macro's then any cheap EOS camera should do, you don't need the 1V, its an amazing camera, and great for hard weather and tough photoshoots, but the macro stuff is usually done with manual focus and so you could probably get away with just using a rebel body... spend $100 instead of $800 ...

Also for MF macro, I use my Mamiya RZ67 with extension tubes, you can get 1:1, you can shoot many images without a macro lens because of the bellows on the RZ system... you can also get the RB system which is just as good for your purposes just a bit older version, and if you ever decide to upgrade form the RB to the RZ system, the lenses can be used on both.

I almost feel I messed up with buying the RZ system, as the RB doesn't require batteries and I do a lot of long exposure shots at night these days and my batteries often fail on hour long exposures

I digress... point is, take a look, the RB67 is super heavy, but certainly really nice macro's

EDIT: oh and CHEAP!! look on ebay, they are going for like nothing! I got a whole system for $400... and that was the RZ67 which is newer, body, 2 lenses, 3 backs, polaroid back, viewfinder all for $400