You do realize that this "too many photographers, too many pictures" stuff has been going on since dry plates were introduced, right? Seriously, I've found photographers writing about it with dry plates, the Brownie, roll films, 35mm, 35mm with auto exposure and motor drive, point & shoots, digital cameras, cell phones, and on down the line. So over 100 years of crying and moaning about the same thing. Big deal. There are always clients on the margin who say, "Oh, my brother has a camera, I'll have him do the photographs." OK, fine. Next customer, please.

This stuff always comes up because the photographer hasn't realized he's supposed to be running a business. This means defining your target market, your product, and your message to that market. You want fame, fortune, and glory? Do some research, make a plan, and execute that plan. There are many things that are commodities, and photography is one of them. This doesn't mean that the market is closed, it just means that you have differentiate yourself to your customers. Your customer isn't someone who's sibling or friend owns a camera. Your customer is someone whose sibling or friend owns a camera, and that customer comes to you for what you do so well.

Ever look at some pro's photographs and think, "I can do that. Seriously, I can." The difference is that the other person made a plan and stuck with it. Whether it has been in art or business, you need to map out what you want to do.