Well I don't mean to be unjust to either of those two gentlemen - Mr Thalmann had been very generous with his knowledge with me in the past. They're both standup gentlemen. And it's a hell of a service to the photographic community. An awesome thing to have access to those tests. But I'm just saying that it's a bit 'folly' to test only one sample of each product. I strongly suspect that you would see MORE variation between samples in a single line of lenses (purchased from the secondary or used market) than you would between brands in principle. I would have liked to have seen, say, five identical models tested against eachother as a control for the tests... if you see what I'm driving at. But you're saying maybe they did this already (with the 90mm angulons)? I will have to look at that - perhaps it was embedded in the test. Seems it would have been good to address that in a more prominent fashion. At any rate - specifics aside - you seem to see a lot of this kind of behavior on the 'net - people dismissing a product out of hand because they had one bad experience. A woman I know was bashing hasselblad planars for being unsharp - when in fact it turns out she had a badly seated focusing screen... again - yes operator error syndrome rearing it's ugly head...

I think a lot of people get very badly misled by advertising and consumer jargon - i.e. the urge to buy 'brand new' equipment etc. I've had mindblowingly good results with 60s lenses (as mentioned) - under controlled operating conditions, some of the older 'junk' can be at least as good as the new stuff... if not better in some cases.

About the strobe -Yes for sure. Well I thought it smarter maybe, to use strobe for such work. For that reason. There's also the spectre of film creep too. I am also located in california where there's frequent low level seismic vibration going on all the time (not to mention passing vehicles, etc)... so it just seemed like a better plan...