I've only been home processing my B&W film for a little over a month and I already feel like giving it up. But I've invested so much, like the convenience and long term affordability, so I don't know.

For those of you who haven't been following, I've already had three issues with my home processing. First was seemingly underexposed negatives, then weird marks from temperature change and/or accidentally putting wet negs in sleeves, then water/chemical residue marks that wouldn't go away. Each time, the community of APUG has been very helpful in the problem solving, and I greatly appreciate it. So now I have a fourth issue and I'm not even on my 10th roll yet (9th, actually). I'm hoping you guys can help me out. The number of issues I've been having has been very frustrating to say the least. Is it normal to have this many issues in such a short period of time? I know there's a learning curve, but it feels like I'm having more issues than I really should. Whenever I feel like I'm getting the hang of things and it starts getting easier, another hurdle is thrown my way.

So, let me explain, and then I will add images to further illustrate after.

I've graduated to processing two rolls at a time now, first time was ok. Second time (yesterday), not bad either. On the two rolls I processed yesterday, one was from a Nikon F90, the other a Konica Hexar roll. Both HP5 in DD-X for 9 minutes. The F90 roll appears to be fine. The Hexar roll (why is it always an issue with this camera, never have an issue with F90 home processed rolls...) on the other hand, had a peculiarity.

Much of the roll appears fine, good exposure, good processing, what have you. But the middle section of the roll came out extremely dark - so that means they're really bright. They seem very dense, most you can make out the photos somewhat against very bright light, but some look almost smudged (?). I don't get it - the entire other roll is fine, and about 40-50% of this roll looks fine too. The only thing I can think of is uneven development (but I would think this would translate to the F90 roll too) or something within the camera at the time of exposure.

I don't know. All these issues are a big turn off. On top of this, I had a real fun (not really) time trying to get the damn cap off of the DD-X bottle earlier this week. Does it get better?

Anyways, here are some photos

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

I'll post some scans in a second.