Jim - Thanks for great information. I was using 9 1/2" aerial (maybe Plus-X) in my #10 until the mainspring broke. The film had some fog, although years ago a Seattle area Cirkut guy told me sometimes the outer several feet of these rolls are foggier and it gets better farther into the roll. Fixing the broken spring probably won't be too bad, as I've been told they usually break right at the end and a new hole can be drilled for attaching to the spring case. The other problem with the #10 is the rear focusing bellows is so petrified it won't extend all the way out, and I'm afraid of bending the struts. It just occurred to me I could remove it entirely so the focusing screen can be extended and throw a darkcloth over to focus. I also have an #8 Outfit which does run, but was banding like mad the last time I used it with #8 film. In order to use 9 1/2" film in the #8 I'll need to devise a film slitting hack. All of this leads back to "Wish I were retired" and had lots of time!
The 8" film I developed in Rubbermaid plastic wash pans, rolling and re-rolling from one hand to the other. The development looked even to me. The banding I got I'm sure was the camera not running smooth. I did the old trick of using one finger to "help" the camera on its journey around the gearhead. On one shot I forgot to do this and had much more banding. As Ron Klein has said, using a Cirkut is like playing the violin. Practice, practice!
Years ago I repaired a broken spring in an Edison phonograph. Spring steel is impossible to work with, but I was able to make holes through it with a chain saw grinder, like a dremel. I literally ground through the steel with a stone, got some suitable steel for pins, and peened both ends as flat as possible. It went back to work fine.
Go for it.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949