well, see that's what finally got me--sensitization to pHisoderm which is a neutral pH type cleanser--not a soap. I actually use Dove now in the darkroom--and use gloves all the time. I use nitrile or vinyl that run up my arms--for the deeptank. I wash these & dry them at the end of the run. I use the disposable vinyl gloves for everything else and will sometimes burn through a box of 50 easily in a day....but when I used to tray process full time--I mean 8-10 hrs a stretch for 4-5 days a week. At first I did what you do--ran my hands through the process, then washed them with pHisoderm quickly, dried them off and did it again. It was all that excessive washing & wet time that did me in...and you know--it's funny going to doctors with this sort of problem--they tell you to not wash your hands period. Wear gloves all the time. Not get your hands wet. You ever had to work in a lab, and not get your hands wet at least once in the day? Then you get into using vaseline on your hands, or using creams & lotions--but all that waxy, greasy stuff is great for your hands but lousy for prints & negs...or you could use barrier creams, but they're not quite as effective....some people even wear disposable gloves inside of other gloves because it's possible to get sensitized to the powdered gloves or some of the liners they use. Sometimes I can't find the nitrile gloves, and use the vinyl inside of a latex glove.

the bad thing about chemistry is that repeated exposure to it, can cause sensitization. You could be fine, for years & years and then it's all over...my thing with the cleansers was a real wake up call for me, because I thought for awhile I had developed metol poisoning or sensitized to some component in the processors and that would have been bad news. But probably the worst thing that could happen would be to become sensitized to Latex. I sorta worry about that more now than any of the chemistry...

KT