Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
Awww, a BIG thank you to everyone! It's nice to know there are people that care enough to help. Everything I learned, I learned by myself...scrounging around on the internet. I've been dying to work with large format and thought it really couldn't be that different than 35 mm or a medium format camera with a meter. Boy, I was wrong!! I wasn't getting EI, because first of all, I didn't realize that I should have a light meter!! (DUH). I went through the entire Speed Graphic Manual but I realized yesterday morning, I didn't know how to change the film's ISO on the camera, LOL, until I thought about it a bit. Now the whole EI thing is starting to make sense. Initially, I was figuring I would just take my digital along and use that (and I guess I could, but don't think it would work quite as good as a light meter which I purchased today from B&H). Thank you again for answering all my questions. You folks are wonderful!
You CAN take your digital along and use it, but it may take some tinkering to figure out the best translation. The meters are, naturally enough, optimized for their digital sensors, and they may also make decisions based on metering matrices that may, or may not, work with what you want to do. Ideally I'd recommend a manual camera and hand held meter. But if the meter is another item you don't want to purchase yet and you have a smart phone there are metering programs available. I have an ap called "Pocket Light Meter" for my iPhone that is pretty versatile and agrees closely with my other meters. IIRC it was free (ad supported) though you can pay the developer just $0.99 to get rid of the ads. I've been meaning to pay the $4.99 to get rid of the ads and, as he says in the settings, "buy the developer a pint!"