Not a printer, but I would say, master the "black point" and the "white point" in an analogue print as you would in a digital print.
Black point and white point (especially black point) are fundamental in getting a pleasant and realistic contrast.

With a normal subject, a subject having at least a very tiny amount of very dark details, push that tiny amount to pure black, "bring it to black".
A shade in a house entrance, a blade of shade under a door, the shades under parked cars, the deepest shade of the bushes... you must actually "lose" the very last bit of shadow detail so that you can have some small (even 0.1% or 0.01%) of the surface of your picture as real pure black. Your eyes will find that 0.01% of the image which is pure black and will "set" something on that black which will make the image appear having a realistic contrast.

With most subject that is very important for the final result. Failure to do so will result in flat colours and a dull image, regardless of how contrasty was your negative, or the paper you printed on. Contrast is perceived in the human mind, which has to "peg" a realistic black point (and a white point, but I think that's less important generally) to find the image realistic.

That's my experience, YMMV.