Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
An incident reading in full sunlight can't account for the shadow area in that same full sunlight.
Thanks for chiming in.

The first question I have for you regarding the scene in your example is "what is the subject(s) and where do you want them to fall?" Tough to make a metering plan without knowing what the expectation for the print is.

I will quote myself though:

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Meters of all types simply provide exposure suggestions. Just because incident meters are really good at giving you the camera setting as a direct reading doesn't mean that's the only way to use it.

If your subject is in sun and you are in open shade, or vice versa, and you can't get into the same light, you can simply apply an offset as you would with a spot meter reading. Sure this is a bit subjective but the world isn't perfect and its much better than just guessing.

Use your imagination and you can find simple ways to make any meter do what you need.
The examples you provided are a good example of where I'd use that principle and some imagination.

My second question for you is "what are you willing to compromise in this situation; highlight detail, shadow detail, print contrast?" And "what other tools are you willing to bring to bear, reflectors, strobes, scrims, pre-flashing, dodge, burn?"

I ask because the scene in your examples probably won't straight print acceptably, seriously if you want detail in the door and the shaded bark which are how many stops apart?